How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Is it too much to ask for a local watering hole?

Sorry, JC, but I told you the statute of limitations clock was ticking, and you missed your opportunity. Now that I've disposed of the formalities ...

Justin and I walked around our part of the TC the other day, in search of fresh air, cool people, and a local watering hole we can stumble to and from on occasion. We live in this weird area between Downtown and Uptown. It's not quite central to either destination, but if you've got four hours to spare, a good pair of walking shoes and a partner who's game, you can cover a lot of ground walking for a while, popping into a few bars and basically drinking your way around town, right? NOT TRUE. We actually walked (and last night, drove) in concentric circles outward from our place near the MIA and found NOTHING. The closest true bar is the CC Club, which is okay every once and a while, but it's a good 13 blocks away, and I'm a little lazy. Plus, I gave up wearing all black a few years ago, and my lack of piercings and ink is just shameful in a place like that. So, it turns out the actual closest place to us are the combined establishments of Azia / Anenome / Caterpillar Lounge on Nicollet and 26th. My half-price glass of wine was still $7. Now, don't get me wrong; I like a place that has two daily happy hours, but that's bullshit. I don't have a job, and this is the Midwest for God's sake! What's up with the East Coast drink prices?

It's not like I'm an alcoholic or anything, but when you're just two friendless souls new to a city, you can't have one designated driver watching the other get blasted alone. It's boring for both parties. And all the snow finally melted, so I'm not afraid to walk around outside anymore! What's the story? I'm starting to fear that all the cool bars are in St. Paul. Is that a Catholic thing? ha!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe like I once said, and I mean no offense to anyone (who am I kidding, of course I do but, that's not the point for now) ... but, maybe, just maybe, it's time to move to a "Real City" where there are both walking distant "watering holes", conveniences abundant, and job availability ... (?) Ummm how about the East Coast (?) like NYC and Brooklyn baby ! OR here ... I'll throw in the Midwest for yer ... Chi-town, though the 2 major airports there BOTH blow/suck @$$ !!!

-SIEL

March 15, 2007 9:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you now need to search for a Liq. store and invest in a dart board. Sounds like you will be staying at home more often. :( Hang in there!

-Melissa

PS. It was so good to see you last month. Feel free to come visit anytime.

March 16, 2007 9:39 AM

 
Blogger Hulles said...

How about moving to Saint Paul? You can't swing an alcoholic without hitting a watering hole with character. Good character, bad character, but character certainly. Come to us. Heh heh.

March 20, 2007 9:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home