How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Thursday, March 08, 2007

That smells good ...


I love coffee. I love it in so many variations that I can almost never be let down by "bad coffee." I've been spoiled enough to while away the hours in France and Italy sipping that sweet nectar at an outdoor cafe.

However, I'm still just as happy to get up in the morning and make myself some of the worst sludge known to man. For a coffee-lover, I sometimes find it hard to believe what a horrible coffee-maker I am. Justin claims I say this so he'll make the coffee, but honestly, I've actually poured a few pots of my own down the drain. One of the good things about not working in an office anymore is that I drink a lot less of it. I swear, I used to have a cup an hour when it was always there, right down the hall ... and free. Then I would wonder why my head was pounding, and I had a slight case of the shakes. A doctor once ordered me to drink no caffeinated beverages after 3p.m. My sleep did improve, but how I missed my after-dinner digestif. Now, I'm contented with stopping the insanity when one pot is finished (remember, I'm SHARING this with another person, so I'm not that gluttonous with my morning pick-me-up).

When the Surgeon General claimed that caffeine is bad for people, I just scoffed with a "bad for you, maybe, but definitely not for me!" Let's face it, they banned it in Mecca and Cairo during the 16th Century, but that didn't last. Why not? Much like Americans love of alcohol during Prohibition, North Africa just couldn't get up to work the fields without their morning jolt, and as far as the Arabian peninsula goes ... have you ever had their tea? I get more of a kick from that than from an innocent cup of joe. I, for one, am thankful that the Dutch smuggled out some seedlings and brought the fantastic brew to the rest of us! Of course, they now pour the most offensively strong, bitter version of the stuff that I had to switch to strictly cappuccino while living in the Lowlands.

Mmmm ... that gets me thinking. A late afternoon cuppa sounds good right about now. Time for me to grind some beans.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cold, clammy, jitters
shakes of strung out addiction
3x's a day at least
make it a double
3x's in an hour
Soma, bleached with mothers milk
It's what I want
It's what I need
It what i thrive on
My Desire
I am an ADDICT
Quick give me a FIX
a shot straight up, with a peel
Quick before I CRASH
I need a Quick FIX
I'm AN ADDICT
bouncing off the walls
wild in the eyes . . .

-SIEL (cjs'95 caffeine unedited)

March 09, 2007 6:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "just woke up - i'm a caffeine addict look, i will write now vibe" in the pict. Oh, nice looking pen ! Is it a roller, ballpoint, or gel?

-SIEL

March 09, 2007 10:35 AM

 
Blogger KAS said...

Funny thing is that the pic was taken at about 4:00 in the afternoon. I love that pen. It's actually a giveaway from that evil corporation I used to work for. I laid hands on about 10 of them before I told them to stick where the sun don't shine.

March 09, 2007 12:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's nothing wrong with waking-up at 3:30PM - ;-)

and no comment about blurb about caffeine? so dissappointed . . .

-SIEL

March 09, 2007 6:15 PM

 
Blogger KAS said...

I never knew that Siel had a wicked, prose-writing past! What else have you hidden from me?

March 10, 2007 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Hulles said...

I have two words for you: French press. Trust me on this (that is, if you don't have one already). Coffee is one of my top three vices for sure. Previous girlfriends have always said that I make great coffee but I think this is something they teach them in girlfriend school to get out of making it themselves. But still.

March 11, 2007 8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three Words

Take it slow . . .
Be smooth, not too quick
let it not flow from your lips
keep it in
allow it not to spill out
feelings, rage, uncontrol
caution sets in the air,
show not your fear
Stand-up
Be Strong !
BRACE YOURSELF!
Here it comes . . .

-SIEL

March 13, 2007 12:02 AM

 
Blogger KAS said...

Hulles: did someone slip you a copy of our secret handbook? What we can and cannot do as girlfriends is a strictly secret code that I could tell you about, but then I'd have to ... well you know.

Siel: are you sure you're not a secret poet? Maybe you missed your calling while learning all that code needed to run the evil empire.

March 14, 2007 9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home